Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Ithak - Black Nazar Corporation [2016] France

Ithak may be one of those acts that go unnoticed. This is their second album, it was released in 2016 and it really flew low while it deserves otherwise.

The band is a typical quart..er..wait there's no bass...ooh ok the bass duties are taken over by a barytone saxophone, which is actually the main reason I was drawn to their music.

I'm trying to find a common denominator for the sounds offered and I think that's the oriental music influences. Oriental can be too inclusive so I'll try to confine that a little. Maybe there's mainly Turkish and Moroccan music references. The compositions are mesmerisingly addictive, there's an prevalent in-your-face attitude and I believe the players enjoy what they are doing to the max. This is a diverse offering.

I'd reluctantly label them as Zeuhl, though it would be a very modern take in Zeuhl or maybe it's just another influence on their palette. The band have tagged themselves as RIO, cyberpunk and oriental rock among others. All I know is they made me turn my head.





Support the band here

No comments:

Post a Comment